Wednesday, August 31, 2016

HWA Halloween Recipe Contest!


The HWA is currently having a Halloween recipe contest and I instantly jumped on this opportunity.


 I found this recipe for creamy peas over a decade ago in a Martha Stewart Holiday special Halloween issue.  I made several recipes out of it and followed many decoration suggestions.  I found that this was my favorite Halloween go-to magazine for food, desserts, and decoration ideas.  I remember making these peas for the first time, while watching Killer Clowns from Outer Space one Halloween when I was 13, and that memory just stuck with me.  I think it was the first time I ever made an elaborate Halloween feast for my family.  I wanted to make it a tradition but that was the first and only time I made Halloween dinner.  I made some vast improvements to the original recipe and now it is perfect.

  Rest in Peas

4 slices of potato bread
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
Moloka’i gourmet sea salt or coarse salt
Freshly ground pepper
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 garlic, cut into ½-inch pieces or frozen garlic cubes
¼ cup all-purpose flour
2 ½ cups heavy cream or half and half
½ cup milk
1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
Pinch of cayenne pepper
2 boxes (10 ounces each) frozen peas, thawed and drained well
1 carrot
Bacon bits

1.      Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Using a pairing knife, cut bread into shapes.  (Alternatively, cut bread freehand.)  Place on a baking sheet; brush bread shapes with oil.  Season with salt and pepper.  Toast in oven until golden, 10 to 12 minutes.

(Before.)

(After.)

2.    Heat butter in a large saucepan over medium heat until foaming.  Add garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes.  Stir in flour; cook, stirring constantly, until mixture begins to turn golden, about 4 minutes.

3.      Whisking constantly, gradually add cream.  Cook until mixture thickens, 10 to 12 minutes.  Stir in milk, nutmeg, and cayenne.  Season with salt and pepper.  Stir in peas; cook until heated through, about 5 minutes.



4.      Chop carrots thinly and carve jack-o-lantern faces on them with a fork.



5.      Sautee carrots in olive oil until slightly soft.

6.      Transfer pea mixture to a shallow serving dish.  Arrange headstone croutons on top.   

7.      Add carrot top as a tree and garnish.

8. Sprinkle bacon bits as fall leaves throughout the pea graveyard.    



No comments:

Post a Comment