Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Chaotic Good

 So a lot of crazy unexpected things happened this year.  I guess life decided that I was having a ball of a time quarantining, not going to work, and reading 90 books all last year and overcompensated this year.  Late last year my college debt was paid off.  Long story short, my former college wasn't very honest with their students and I ended up with degree that was pretty much obsolete before I even graduated and a few years later, they closed down completely.  And they left me with a ton of debt.  

So feeling freedom for the first time in 10 years, I decided I would go back to college.  This time, I had a job and made this stuff called money, and decided I would not be in debt again and just pay as I went.  I was very nervous.  Not only have I not been to college in 10 years but I hated online classes and actually dropped out of 2 of my 3 classes because they were online.  When I signed up, I wasn't even sure I would like it or even be able to do it.  When I signed up and began classes, I found it surprisingly easy to navigate and then all of a sudden, I was a college student again.  I started Spring term in January.  

I was working part-time at my job and I knew that was going to be furloughed again between March until probably August like last year.  I worked at a college bookstore 15 minutes from my house as a Course Materials Team Lead (official title,  I was like a supervisor).  I had 5 4 1/2 hour shift days.  My direct manager then told me that a position opened up for Course Materials Manager at another store yet it was a bit further away.  I asked her what city and what store and... it's my school.  It was at the college that I am now attending.  What a coincidence!  I applied and got it.  Full-time, benefits, higher pay (of course), the whole shebang.  It's also an hour/hour and a half drive.  And my classes were scheduled around my former job schedule.  Classes are on T-Th mornings and evenings.  Perfectly fit around my former 4 1/2 hour schedule for a job that was 15 minutes away.  Classes are all online so I'm not conveniently at school whereas I can then head to work or vice versa.  So if I'm not at work, I'm in class, and if I'm not in class, I'm doing homework and if I'm not doing homework, I'm asleep.

Needless to say, writing doesn't fit in.  Reading doesn't even fit in unless it's a textbook.  My former college was a trade school so all my credits can't transfer into this college.  This means I have to take all this ridiculous general ed before I can get into the program I want to get in.  I have to pass these (of course) in order to get into this program and I'm not going to be any less than perfect.  I'm not paying for college to be a B student.

Anyways, back to the writing subject, which I'm sure is why you're reading this.  I have a ton of stuff that is already written that needs homes.  Submitting them is also a lot of effort but I'm going to try to do a little here and there.  

Darkest Days and Haunted Ways has 12 poems left that need to be edited.  After that, I need to write an intro or afterward and then I can send it to a potential publisher.  I'm going to try to get this done during my summer break.

Diary of a Vampyress is at 65 poems.  My goal is still to hit 80 or so poems.  So that's still slow going.

Also, I'm still engaged.  Engagement usually means there's like a wedding/marriage thing happening in the nearish future.  That's another thing that fills up my brain space.  My brain consists of school/work/wedding and writing and reading just aren't quite fitting in there.

So these are all very good things but they're all very chaotic things.  My mind is a whir.  So there's the update on me, in case people are curious/interested/nosey. 

    

     

No comments:

Post a Comment