Sunday, June 7, 2015

Book Review- Myths and Folk Tales of Ireland by Jeremiah Curtin

This book reads just like the Grimm Tales; they're short, the plot doesn't make sense, people/creatures die, and theirs always magic involved.  They're cute and charming but I recommend reading them in small doses.  And as bedtime stories to your children if you don't mind reading the gruesome details of death encountered in each story.  Also every story is quite redundant with everything happening three times before someone finally figures it out.  They are interesting and if you don't compare them to each other, the crazy stories would probably stand out.  I read them all, one after the other, and I couldn't retell a story accurately without adding several other stories into the retelling.  Every story has to do with either a king of Erin or a son of the king of Erin and who knows if they're the same one or not in every story.

I love Irish myths and legends, which is why I stuck through reading this book, but I would advise definitely reading them a little at a time to enjoy each story individually.

No comments:

Post a Comment