Thursday, January 15, 2015

Book Review- Weird Fiction Review #5 edited by S.T. Joshi

I have waited to receive my contributor's copy of this issue since November, when it was first supposed to come out.  I got just got it last week.  And the wait was worth it!  This is my first taste of the Weird Fiction Review series and I absolutely loved it!

I especially loved the non-fiction articles, essays, and interviews.  I had just watched the AckerMonster Chronicles!, a gift from Jason V. Brock, and was excited to learn more about Forrest J. Ackerman in the first essay Presenting!  The Amazing!  Ackermonster! by Dennis Etchison.  I also enjoyed the articles Stuart David Schiff and Whispers Press, Al Feldstein's MAD, MAD World, and The Little Publisher That Could, which focused on the history of a few different horror, fantasy, and science fiction magazines and the people that were involved with them.  My favorite poems include both Wade German poems, Prophecy of the Red Death and De Vermis Mysteriis, which both can be found in his new book of poetry Dreams from a Black Nebula from Hippocampus Press, The Transpire by Chad Hensley, and At the Horn of the Moon by Michael Fantina.  My favorite stories include A Further Experiment in the Effects of Mesmerism by Brian Stableford, The Land of Lonesomeness by Sam Gafford, Welcome Back by Jonathan Thomas, Verlassen by Jason V. Brock, and The Tugboat by Robert H. Waugh.     


No comments:

Post a Comment