Sunday, December 7, 2014

Book Review- Night Shift by Stephen King

I've read Stephen King basically all my life and he has become my favorite author of horror.  It's not until recently that I have started H.P. Lovecraft and Clark Ashton Smith, and other obscure Weird writers.  So imagine my surprise and delight to encounter the Necronomicon and other familiar Lovecraft hints throughout these short stories I read!
Lovecraft had subtly crept into my life in more ways than one and I didn't even know it.  I had no idea Stephen King was influenced by him until recently.  I sold Cthulhu necklaces for 6 years not knowing anything about Cthulhu, I've watched the Evil Dead a million times not knowing the significance of the Necronomicon, I've listened to Cradle of Filth's album Lovecraft and Witch Hearts since I was in middle school, and even read and thoroughly enjoyed, Donald Tyson's Necronomicon and the Grimoire of the Necronomicon still without knowing about this Lovecraft.  It's like he's been calling me to him and I've been just oblivious to all his signs.  It looks like our meeting was inevitable.  :)
Anyway back to the topic!  I quite enjoyed many of these short stories, with only a couple I didn't care too much for.  My top favorites include:

Jerusalem's Lot
The Mangler
Trucks
Sometimes They Come Back
I Know What You Need
Children of the Corn
One for the Road

I know he wrote a few of these while in high school but the stories are very interesting and definitely draw you in.

                                                

 


     

No comments:

Post a Comment